Creamy spinach with fried egg
This creamy spinach with fried egg is one of the easiest, most nutritious Romanian recipes that you can make rapidly, with a few simple ingredients. As Romanians, we enjoy eating a lot of meat (add some garlic sauce, and it’s happiness supreme), but taking a break from meat is a good idea from time to time.
This dish comes as a good excuse to eat some greens, but since spinach is a bit dull, we add – guess what – lots of garlic! And always, a fried egg on top. Make it runny, so you can dip bread into both the creamy spinach and the egg yolk.
I used frozen spinach for this recipe. The best way the preserve the nutrients of the spinach is to steam it, instead of boiling it. Bring some water to a boil in a pot, then steam the spinach using a sieve placed over the pot with the boiling water. The sieve shouldn’t touch the water.
Meanwhile, sauté some garlic in a bit of butter and oil, then add the spinach, some cream, salt, pepper, and that’s it. Fry an egg, with or without oil, and there you have it – a nourishing lunch or dinner ready in no time. Don’t forget to toast some bread and dip it in the egg yolk and the spinach. Yum!
For 2 servings
500 g frozen spinach
3 cloves garlic
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon oil
2 tablespoons cooking cream
Salt and pepper to taste
2 eggs + oil to fry the eggs
- Thaw the spinach using a sieve over a pot of boiling water. Make sure the water doesn’t touch the sieve.
- Separately, in a pan, heat the butter with the oil and sauté the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the spinach and stir until any liquid is evaporated.
- Add the cooking cream, salt and pepper, and mix for a minute or two, until the flavors are combined.
- Fry two eggs, then add salt and pepper on top.
- Place the spinach in two bowls and put one egg on top of each portion.
- Serve with toast.