Homemade Chocolate Bars
These homemade chocolate bars are a dessert which will probably surprise you due to its ingredients. They look a lot like the fudge bars that we can see all over Pinterest, but the Romanian recipe for homemade chocolate bars actually requires adding powdered milk. This recipe was really popular before 1990, when, during communism, it wasn’t easy for everyone to find real chocolate.
This is probably how Romanians came up with this homemade chocolate bar, which, in my opinion, is more delicious than almost any chocolate you can find in stores. The interesting thing is that it does not contain any real chocolate at all. The main ingredients are powdered milk, cocoa, butter, sugar and water.
To this mixture, you can add any kind of dried fruits or nuts that you like. For this recipe, I added some crushed walnuts and some raisins, but I’ve also tried making the homemade chocolate bars with cranberries, almonds, hazelnuts, even pistachio. They would also go great with some candied orange peel.
Whatever you choose to add to these homemade chocolate bars, make sure you use some good-quality ingredients. An important thing to remember before preparing these bars is that you have to get all your ingredients ready before making the bars. You’ll have to work pretty fast once your syrup is ready, and add the dried fruits and nuts before the mixture starts to thicken.
You’ll probably want to eat the composition when it’s still warm, but have some patience and leave it the fridge for a few hours, so that it can get to have just the right texture – not too soft and not too hard. Here’s how to make these super simple homemade chocolate bars.
250 g sugar
250 ml water
200 g butter
1 order propecia usa teaspoon vanilla extract
100 g cocoa
500 g powdered milk
50 g raisins
50 g walnuts
A pinch of salt
- Place a medium pot on the stove and turn on the heat.
- Add the water and the sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the butter and stir until it’s completely melted, then turn off the heat and add the vanilla.
- In a bowl, mix the cocoa, the powdered milk and the pinch of salt.
- Start adding the butter and sugar syrup and stir vigorously until you get a chocolatey paste.
- Add the walnuts and the raisins and mix well.
- In a small tray covered in plastic wrap, lay the composition evenly, then cover with another plastic wrap and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, take the homemade chocolate out of the fridge and cut it into small pieces.
Recipe in Romanian – Re?eta în român?
250 g zah?r
250 ml ap?
200 g unt
1 linguri?? extract de vanilie
100 g de cacao
500 g lapte praf
50 g stafide
50 g nuci
Mod de preparare
- A?eza?i o crati?? medie pe aragaz ?i porni?i focul.
- Adaug??i apa ?i zah?rul ?i amesteca?i pân? se dizolv? zah?rul ?i se formeaz? un sirop.
- Ad?uga?i untul ?i amesteca?i pân? se tope?te complet, apoi opri?i focul ?i ad?uga?i vanilia.
- Într-un castron amesteca?i cacaua, laptele praf ?i vârful de sare.
- Începe?i s? ad?uga?i siropul de unt ?i zah?r ?i agita?i energic pân? când ob?ine?i o past? de ciocolat?.
- Ad?uga?i nucile ?i stafidele ?i amesteca?i bine.
- Într-o tav? mic? acoperit? cu folie de plastic, a?eza?i compozi?ia uniform, apoi acoperi?i-o cu o alt? folie de plastic ?i pune?i-o în frigider timp de 2 ore.
- Dup? 2 ore, scoate?i ciocolata de cas? din frigider ?i t?ia?i-o în buc??i mici.
My cousin came to visit about a month ago and brought two packs of milk powder especially to make ciocolata de casa. We made that together, a huge batch, and I took photos for the blog as well. 🙂 Everybody just loved them, completely new for all the German people around me, but they were impressed. 🙂