Chicken, celery and carrot salad – Salata de pui cu telina si morcov
This chicken, celery and carrot salad is really easy to make, you just need a few ingredients that can be found in any store. This salad is packed with vitamins, even though it’s made with a few tablespoons of mayonnaise. To reduce the number of calories, I’ve used a low-fat mayonnaise, but if you do the same, please make sure you use a good-quality one.
Of course you can make your own mayonnaise at home in just a few minutes, but I wanted to make this recipe extra simple, so I decided to use a store-bought mayonnaise. Romanians have a thing for salads which contain mayonnaise. The most popular salad for the cold season is definitely the boeuf salad, which is smothered in mayonnaise, and full of chopped pickles and meat.
This chicken, celery and carrot salad is a Romanian recipe that’s much easier to make than the winter boeuf salad. To make it, you’ll just need to grate celery, carrots and a small apple, without boiling or cooking any of them. The only thing you need to cook is the chicken breast, but since the only thing you have to do is boil it, I think it can’t get any easier than that.
Since the vegetables and the apple turn brown so easily after grating them, make sure you add the juice from at least half a lemon immediately after grating them. Please don’t skip adding the apple – it gives your salad a sweeter taste and truly enhances all the other flavors.
Go ahead and make it for lunch or dinner, and serve it with some fresh bread and a nice glass of lemonade. ?
1 chicken breast
1 celery root
250 ml mayonnaise
Juice from ½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot filled with water, boil the chicken breast until it’s fully cooked (for about 40 minutes).
- Grate the carrots, the celery root and the apple, and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Drizzle the lemon juice over the grated vegetables and apple, then mix.
- Cut the chicken breast into thin strips and add them to the bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, salt and pepper, then mix with a spoon until everything is nicely combined.
- Decorate with lemon slices.
- Let the chicken, celery and carrot salad cool in the fridge before serving.
Recipe in Romanian – Re?et? în român?
1 piept de pui
1 ?elin? medie
250 ml de maionez?
Sucul de la ½ l?mâie
Sare ?i piper dup? gust
Mod de preparare
- Într-o crati?? cu ap?, fierbe?i pieptul de pui pân? când este complet g?tit (timp de aproximativ 40 de minute).
- Cur??a?i ?i rade?i morcovii, ?elina ?i m?rul ?i transfera?i-le într-un castron mare.
- Ad?uga?i sucul de l?mâie peste legumele ?i m?rul ras, apoi amesteca?i.
- T?ia?i pieptul de pui în fâ?ii sub?iri ?i ad?uga?i-le în castron.
- Ad?uga?i maionez?, sare ?i piper, apoi amesteca?i cu o lingur? pân? când totul este bine combinat.
- Decora?i cu felii de l?mâie.
- L?sa?i salata de pui, ?elin? ?i morcov s? se r?ceasc? în frigider înainte de servire.