Chicken and peas stew
This Romanian recipe is one of my favorites – super easy to make, healthy and ready in half an hour. Once again, I learned how to make it from my mother, and when I started cooking it on my own, I remember that I used to prepare it at least twice a month.
I never used fresh peas for it though, it’s so much easier to make it with canned peas, since their texture is already suitable for this kind of dish.
For this Romanian chicken and peas stew, you’ll only need one skillet, in which you’ll add all the ingredients, one by one, and you’ll get a delicious stew that’s great for lunch or dinner.
I remember that I usually ate this dish when I was on a diet – the peas might not be perfect for a low-carb diet, but I loved to enjoy it for dinner, and it helped a lot, since it’s very filling. The chicken breast is packed with protein, and the peas are full of fiber and vitamins.
You can serve this dish with a nice cucumber salad, garnished with lots of fresh dill. I personally like to eat it with some Romanian telemea cheese.
1 chicken breast
800 g canned peas
1 onion, finely chopped
200 g (1 cup) tomato paste
30 g (2 tablespoons) flour
30 ml (2 tablespoons) oil
500 ml (2 cups) water
Salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet, heat the oil and cook the onion until translucent.
- Add the chicken breast and cook it until it’s no longer pink.
- In a bowl, mix the flour with the tomato paste, then add water gradually, until it becomes thin enough to be poured.
- Drain the canned peas, then add them to the skillet.
- Add the tomato paste mixture, plus salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with water and let everything simmer until the tomato paste sauce thickens.