Semolina pudding with berries jam
Semolina pudding is a traditional Romanian dessert that’s extremely easy to make and very popular in our country. We make it at home very often, since it’s a light dessert, comforting and with only 4 tablespoons of sugar per 1 liter of milk.
You can serve this semolina pudding with cinnamon on top, fresh fruits, and a good spoonful of jam. I prefer berries jam, but it’s delightful with apricot or sour cherries jam.
If you ask Romanians about this dessert, they’ll most surely tell you that it’s the dessert of their childhood. This semolina pudding is perfect for both kids and grownups, and probably that’s why we made it at home so often when I was a little girl. It’s ready in less than half an hour, but since I prefer to serve it cold from the fridge, it will take a few hours for it to set.
You’ll only need three main ingredients for this delicious dessert: milk, semolina and sugar. The rest of the ingredients are up to you. When I was younger, we used to make this semolina pudding with vanilla-flavored sugar, but since a few years ago I discovered vanilla beans, recently I always used it for this kind of dessert.
Scrape all the seeds from the vanilla bean and add the entire buy alprazolam bean to the simmering milk, then the semolina and stir continuously. It doesn’t take long at all to thicken – a few minutes should be enough. Make sure you transfer it to some bowls which have been previously washed and left wet, if you want to turn it upside down when it’s cold to make it look like the ones I made. You can also eat it directly from the bowl, with any topping you like.
1 l milk
100 g sugar
100 g semolina
1 vanilla bean
A pinch of salt
Berries jam, fruits or cinnamon
- In a non-stick pot, combine the milk with the sugar, salt, vanilla seeds and vanilla bean and bring it to a boil. Remove the vanilla bean.
- Gradually add the semolina, stirring continuously.
- Boil it for about 5-7 minutes, until it thickens. Make sure you stir all this time.
- If you want to make it look like the one in my picture, wet 2 small bowls and fill them with the warm semolina pudding. Let cool and then transfer to the fridge for 2-3 hours, then turn the bowls upside down over two plates and decorate with blueberry jam and fruits.
- You can also eat the semolina pudding directly from the bowl, adding the toppings over the pudding.