Chocolate Sandwich Cookies – Paleuri cu Ciocolata
The chocolate sandwich cookies that I made today are made of two layers of butter cookies, glued together with some delicious chocolate ganache. When we had school parties or any other celebrations, these cookies were always present on our tables. You could find this Romanian dessert in any bakery, but you can easily make them at home and get the same delicious result.
These chocolate sandwich cookies require just a few simple ingredients, but you need to have some patience to bake the butter cookies. Since these cookies expand a lot after you place them in the oven, make sure you leave a decent amount of space between them when you spritz them in the tray. If they don’t have enough space between them, they’ll stick to each other and won’t have that pretty round shape anymore.
I baked 3 trays of cookies, so the baking part is a bit time-consuming. You can prepare the cream the night before you bake the cookies, because it needs to cool in the fridge for a few hours. Since I didn’t consider this, I just placed the chocolate cream in the freezer for about 40 minutes. If you’re going to do the same, make sure you don’t leave it too much in there – it will become too hard and you’ll have to wait to get it to room temperature again.
These cookies wouldn’t be called the original paleuri if they wouldn’t have that pretty design on top. To make it, I just melted some chocolate, transferred it to a small plastic sandwich bag, and cut one tip of the bag with some scissors. I drew some lines vertically and then horizontally, and I got a pretty design which perfectly resembled the one of the cookies that we can buy in bakeries.
I didn’t find this recipe in any cooking books, so I got inspired by a Romanian blog, Caietul cu Retete.
200 g butter, at room temperature
200 g powdered sugar
4 medium eggs
300 g flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
200 g bittersweet chocolate
150 ml heavy cream
150 g bittersweet chocolate
- Beat the soft butter with the powdered sugar until the mixture is creamy.
- Add one egg at a time and mix after each egg. Don’t add the next egg until the first one is fully incorporated.
- Add the vanilla extract, then the flour and the baking powder.
- Using a pastry bag with an open star tip, distribute the cookie batter on a tray covered with baking paper. Make sure you don’t overcrowd the cookies, buy real ativan online leave at least 3-4 cm between them.
- Bake the cookies at 170°C for 10-12 minutes.
- Leave them to cool and prepare the cream.
- To make the chocolate cream, break the chocolate into small pieces, heat the heavy cream until it reaches boiling point, then pour it over the chocolate. Leave it for 3-4 minutes, then add the rum flavoring and mix with a spatula.
- Leave the cream to cool in the fridge for 3-4 hours or in the freezer for 30-40 minutes.
- With a teaspoon, spread a bit of cream on one cookie, then stick another cookie on top. Repeat with all the cookies.
- To make the topping, melt 150 g chocolate and transfer to a small plastic bag. Cut the tip off using some scissors, then start making horizontal and vertical lines over each cookie, to get the pattern shown in the pictures.
- Put the cookies in the fridge for at least an hour before serving.
Recipe in Romanian – Re?eta în român?
200 g unt la temperatura camerei
200 g zah?r pudr?
4 ou? medii
300 g f?in?
1 linguri?? de praf de copt
1 linguri?? extract de vanilie
200 g ciocolat? am?ruie
150 ml fri?c? lichid?
Esen?? de rom
150 g ciocolat? am?ruie
Mod de preparare
- Bate?i untul moale cu zah?rul pudr? pân? când amestecul este cremos.
- Ad?uga?i câte un ou ?i amesteca?i bine dup? fiecare.
- Ad?uga?i extractul de vanilie, apoi f?ina ?i praful de copt. Amesteca?i pân? când ob?ine?i o compozi?ie omogen?.
- Folosind o pung? de patiserie cu un vârf cu stea, distribui?i aluatul pe o tav? acoperit? cu hârtie de copt. Asigura?i-v? c? nu supraaglomera?i fursecurile, l?sa?i cel pu?in 3-4 cm între ele.
- Coace?i fursecurile la 170 ° C timp de 10-12 minute.
- L?sa?i-le s? se r?ceasc? ?i preg?ti?i crema.
- Pentru a face crema de ciocolat?, rupe?i ciocolata în buc??i mici, înc?lzi?i fri?ca lichid? pân? când ajunge la punctul de fierbere, apoi turna?i-o peste ciocolat?. L?sa?i-le timp de 3-4 minute, apoi ad?uga?i esen?a de rom ?i amesteca?i cu o spatul?.
- L?sa?i crema s? se r?ceasc? în frigider timp de 3-4 ore sau în congelator timp de 30-40 de minute.
- Pune?i o linguri?? de crem? pe un fursec, apoi lipi?i cu un alt fursec. Repeta?i cu toate fursecurile.
- Pentru a face glazura, topi?i 150 g de ciocolat? ?i transfera?i-o într-o pung? mic? de plastic. T?ia?i vârful cu o foarfec?, apoi începe?i s? face?i linii orizontale ?i verticale peste fiecare paleu, pentru a ob?ine modelul din imagini.
- Pune?i paleurile în frigider timp de cel pu?in o or? înainte de servire.
- Servi?i cu pl?cere!