Chicken Liver Pate – Pate din Ficat de Pui
Chicken liver pate or chicken liver spread is a popular appetizer here in Romania – you’ll find it canned in any supermarket, all around the country. It’s difficult to find a chicken liver pate that has the right texture, and when you look at the label, you’ll usually see that it contains some percentage of pork liver, and, of course, some additives.
There are also a lot of high-quality products that don’t contain any other kinds of liver except chicken liver, and they taste pretty good, but they can’t compare to the chicken liver pate that you can make at home in less than an hour.
I grew up eating pate spread on fresh bread, and I clearly remembered that I never touched any other kind of liver pate than the one made of chicken. Now, I still don’t like pork liver pate, but I can truly say that duck or goose liver pate is a delicacy that I would enjoy anytime.
For this chicken liver pate, it’s important to add just the right spices and make sure you don’t overcook the liver pate, or else it will have a crumbly texture. I always like to add some nutmeg, and this time I also added some garlic powder besides the garlic cloves that go in the pan with the chicken liver.
Besides eating this chicken liver pate spread on bread, you can successfully use it for some stuffed eggs. I simply love any kind of stuffed eggs, but if you use a homemade chicken liver pate for the stuffing, they’ll be then times better than if you use a store-bought one.
Before starting this recipe, I’d like to give you a few tips that will help you get the perfect homemade chicken liver pate. Start by sweating the onions. Only when the onions become translucent, add the garlic. It takes a lot less for the garlic to cook, so don’t add it at the same time with the onions, or it will most likely burn.
When you add the chicken liver in the skillet, cook it for no more than 15 minutes – when it’s done, it should have a brownish color on the outside, but it should still be pink on the inside. An overcooked chicken liver will take away the creaminess of the pate. Besides this, add some delicious spices, and you’ll get an amazing homemade pate, without any preservatives or additives.
500 g chicken liver
1 onion, cheap ventolin chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic
120 g butter
A pinch of dried thyme
1/3 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- In a skillet, heat the oil along with 20 g butter and sweat the chopped onion until it becomes translucent.
- Add the chopped garlic and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the chicken liver with the nutmeg, the dried thyme, the garlic powder and the pepper. Don’t add the salt yet, or the chicken liver will become dry.
- Cook on each side for about 5-7 minutes. The total cooking time shouldn’t exceed 15 minutes, just make sure it has a brownish color on the outside, but it’s still pink on the inside. Add the salt before turning off the heat.
- In a food processor, add the chicken liver with the onion and the garlic, plus 50 grams of melted butter. Mix until it has a creamy texture.
- With a spoon, transfer the chicken liver pate into a medium bowl, or two small ones.
- Melt the rest of the butter and add it over the chicken liver pate.
- Put the bowl or bowls in the fridge for 2 hours, then serve on toast and enjoy!
Recipe in Romanian – Re?eta în român?
500 g ficat de pui
1 ceap? tocat?
3-4 c??ei de usturoi
120 g unt
pu?in cimbru uscat
1/3 linguri?? de nuc?oar?
½ linguri?? de praf de usturoi
Sare ?i piper dup? gust
2 linguri de ulei de floarea-soarelui
Mod de preparare
- Într-o tigaie înc?lzi?i uleiul împreun? cu 20 de grame de unt ?i pr?ji?i ceapa tocat? pân? devine translucid?.
- Ad?uga?i usturoiul tocat ?i g?ti?i înc? 2 minute.
- Ad?uga?i ficatul de pui cu nuc?oara, cimbrul uscat, praful de usturoi ?i piper. Nu ad?uga?i înc? sarea, deoarece ficatul de pui se va înt?ri.
- G?ti?i ficatul de pui pe fiecare parte pentru aproximativ 5-7 minute. Timpul total de g?tit nu trebuie s? dep??easc? 15 minute. Asigura?i-v? c? are o culoare maronie în exterior, dar este înc? roz în interior. Ad?uga?i sarea înainte de a opri focul ?i amesteca?i.
- Într-un robot de buc?t?rie sau blender, ad?uga?i ficatul de pui cu ceap? ?i usturoi, plus 50 de grame de unt topit. Amesteca?i pân? când pateul are o textur? cremoas?.
- Cu o lingur?, transfera?i pateul de ficat de pui într-un bol mediu sau dou? boluri mici.
- Topi?i restul de unt ?i ad?uga?i peste pateul de ficat de pui.
- Pune?i bolul/bolurile în frigider timp de 2 ore, apoi servi?i pe pâine pr?jit?, cu mult? poft?!