Stuffed Eggs with Duck Liver Pate
Stuffed eggs, or deviled eggs, are a great appetizer, perfect for any season. The great thing about them is that you can use any stuffing you like – mayonnaise, tuna paste, or, the one I chose today, liver pate mixture.
Romanians love to prepare stuffed eggs on special occasions – they are easy to make, and if you decorate them nicely, they look extra pretty on the table. For the Easter feast, we always make colored eggs. Most of the time, we end up with lots of leftover eggs, so we prefer to fill them with something that gives them extra flavor.
I came up with this stuffing recipe myself, and I stick with it any time I prepare stuffed eggs. I don’t like to use any mayonnaise, like you’ll often find in other deviled eggs recipes, but instead I add some cream cheese, which makes the stuffing wonderfully fluffy and creamy.
I also added some mustard, which enriches the duck liver pate’s flavor, and gives a bit of spiciness to the entire mixture. This stuffing is so good, that you can even choose to eat it on some toasted bread – a great breakfast for sure! However, the combination with egg whites is even better.
You can garnish the eggs with anything you prefer. These stuffed eggs with duck liver pate would look great on a Romanian appetizers platter, next to some chicken meatballs and some Romanian cheeses, such as telemea cheese. They’re great for parties, too. 😊
40 g (2 tablespoons) yellow mustard
60 g (3 tablespoons) cream cheese
60 g (3 tablespoons) duck liver pate
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive slices, chives and paprika powder for garnishing
- Cook the eggs until they’re hard and leave them to cool completely.
- Carefully peel the egg shells, cut the eggs into halves, and remove the egg yolks with a teaspoon.
- Put the egg yolks in a medium bowl, and mash them into a fine crumble, using a fork.
- Add mustard, cream cheese, duck liver pate, salt, pepper, and mix well.
- Using a teaspoon, distribute the stuffing evenly in the egg halves. You can also use a piping bag with a star nozzle to pipe the mixture into the egg halves, for a prettier finished look.
- Garnish with olive slices, paprika powder and chopped chives.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.