Savory cake with ham, olives and mushrooms
Savory cakes are great for breakfast, for taking with you at work, or even for dinner, with a salad on the side. You can bake an infinite variety of savory cakes, with any filling of your choice: ham, bacon, mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, sweet corn kernels, spinach, olives, or really, anything that comes to mind.
I chose to prepare my savory cake with ham, mushrooms and olives, mainly because the smell and taste remind me of a pizza calzone. Romanians (and probably half of this planet’s population) are crazy about pizza! There are hundreds of restaurants in our country where you can serve a delicious pizza, even though you’re not in Italy.
Well, since we’re in Romania and pizza is not even close to any of our traditional dishes, I thought that I should bake this savory cake with ingredients that you can find in any local store. It doesn’t take more than 20 minutes to prepare it, then it goes in the oven for 35-40 minutes, and you’re done!
Just like you would do with any cake, it’s better to leave the eggs at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before using them. This way, the cake becomes fluffier during baking. Choosing the right kind of cheese is also important – I used cascaval, a traditional Romanian pressed cheese, but you can substitute it with cheddar or mozzarella cheese that you would normally use for pizza.
150 g (1 cup) flour
5 large eggs
100 g (3.5 oz.) turkey ham, shredded
200 g (2 cups) cascaval cheese (or cheddar/mozzarella), shredded
90 g (1/2 cup) sliced olives
150 g (1 cup) canned mushrooms
60 ml (4 tablespoons) sunflower oil
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Using a mixer, beat the eggs until they double in volume.
- Add the flour spoon by spoon, and mix until combined.
- Add the baking powder, then the oil, and continue mixing.
- Turn off the mixer. Add the turkey ham, cheese, olives, mushrooms and salt.
- With a spatula, mix all the ingredients until they are well combined.
- In a buttered loaf pan, pour the mixture, and place in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Take the cake out of the oven, leave it for 10 minutes in the pan, then let it cool completely on a cooling rack.